According to a survey done by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), from 1999 to 2010 there were an average of 430 deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning. The easiest way to prevent such a terrible thing from happening is to make sure your home is installed with working carbon monoxide detectors. The amount you’ll need will depend on how many levels of your home there are, as well as if your home has a fireplace or other such appliances & amenities. A qualified technician, like those we employ here at Specialty Air Inc, can do an overall inspection of your heating system and vents to further protect your family from carbon monoxide. It’s also a good idea to have your chimney, if you have one, swept at least once a year. If there’s any other fuel-burning appliances that need to be inspected or serviced, then please look into having someone check those as well so you can avoid the following dangers…….
Common Sources of Carbon Monoxide
Carbon Monoxide is known as a silent killer because this gas is odorless, colorless, and tasteless; and becomes deadly by preventing your blood from carrying oxygen to your vital organs. We’ll get to the symptoms your body will have from coming into contact with Carbon Monoxide below, but you should know the sources of this gas beforehand. A common source is from an attached garage where an idle vehicle may be running, but also can come from a generator or other form of combustion engine. CO can be created through combustion due to faulty equipment in a furnace, water heater, a poorly installed gas appliance, or from a blocked chimney. It can also come about if you grill indoors or in your garage. If one of these things is happening inside your home, then most likely you’re at risk of trapping a high amount of CO, and you must do whatever’s necessary to fix it.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Maybe now you’re starting to see places where CO has been building up in your home, and what appliances or other devices in your home could be causing this. Now you should check and see if you or anyone else in your home has been experiencing the following symptoms:
- At 35 CO Particles per Million (PPM), you’ll have a slight headache within 6 to 8 hours, but as the PPM goes up the headache will come quicker and be even more miserable. At 400 PPM, you could have a headache in as little as an hour.
- At 800 to 1600 PPM, you’ll experience nausea, dizziness, irregular heartbeat, and convulsions. At this point, you’re at serious risk of losing your life within hours.
- At 3200 to 12,800 PPM, the symptoms become more intense and you could die in as little as 2 to 3 minutes!
Are you starting to see how serious CO levels can become, and why you should find a heating repair service here in Tustin CA? Then call Specialty Air Inc. at 714-641-8049 to have a qualified technician inspect your appliances and see where CO could be coming from inside your own home. We can also see if you need new carbon monoxide detectors installed, and if there’s other places in your home that they should be.